SOCIAL MEDIA

15.5.20

Laundry Room Refresh


The thought of giving our laundry room a much needed makeover was in the back of my mind for months!

I did so much research to get ALL the inspo and to make sure I knew exactly what I wanted. This was also one of our "bigger" projects and I wanted to make sure my husband felt comfortable with executing this DIY. Ha!

I am happy to confirm that we did great! I of course had all the ideas but he gave me some real quick reality checks lol. We began this laundry room makeover in late February and it is now May and I am finally revealing it. I still consider this a win given the fact that we managed to do this while working/homeschooling and everything in between.

I do want to mention that I in no way shape or form am encouraging you to go out for nonessential trips to the store nor, spend unnecessary money. We had a lot of the materials and most of the time we needed something from the hardware store we ordered for curbside pick up.

Now lets jump in!

Here is a before picture, of my laundry room just the way it was when we first bough this house, lets keep in mind that this room is soooo small!

Before

As you can see it was not functional at all, the way it looked did not motivate me to tackle my laundry or organize this space. 

I knew that not only did I want this space to look cute, but I also wanted it to serve its purpose. This is the only storage room we have down stairs to store all our household essentials without having to go to the garage so I was super motivated to make it work.

The entire project took us like 3 weeks, we only worked Friday and Saturday nights because my husband works during the week and clearly during the day it would be more challenging with all the little ones running around but we did it and I'm so happy we took on this room refresh! 

During 

 First piece to go up was this shelf my husband built to hide all the cables and outlets in the back + make it more accessible for me (short people probs).
We then removed the top shelf and my husband built another shelf using chunky wood we already had in our garage and stained it using a water based oil stain. Then we added this beautiful shiplap which was a natural wood color and we painted it white. We weren't able to find the white shiplap close to us.

Reveal 







5 tips to help you keep up with laundry


1. Use stylish/functional pieces that spark you joy and doesn't make it feel like another job

I have always wanted a large wicker laundry basket and this one from The Basket Lady is perfect! Large enough to hold two load, looks super cute and easy to carry up and down my stairs. Plus its made of great quality and under $100!

2. Create a laundry routine and stick to it

As a mom of 4 we go through so much laundry and if I go one day without doing load of laundry it will soon pile up to the ceiling so a load of laundry a day to keep the blues away, ha! I also have a routine for sheets, towels, bedding, cleaning rags etc. 

3. Have a laundry hamper for every member in your family

This is probably the best tip because it saves so much time when it comes down to sorting through the clothes. I don't sort by color (except whites), I sort by texture. So all of my husband's and my clothes will get washed together, and the kids will all get washed together. When adding clothes to my washer I simply pull out the heavier clothes and do those in a separate cycle. Why? Well, heavy textured clothes soak up more detergent then regular clothes and if you mix textures your light weight clothing won't get as much product because the heavier items are pulling in all the detergent.

4. Fold clothes and put away immediately

Not going to lie, I'm still getting used to this one but  have noticed that when I do fold and put away immediately, I get it done in less than 20 min and I include the kids as well. They sort through socks + undies, their job is to put those away. 

5. Be realistic with yourself and ask for help 

I feel like our attitude and perspective always plays a huge role in the outcome of things, so if you have a big family like me, let your husband help with his clothes or the towels etc. Even if its just you or your spouse, getting help is key. I personally ask my husband to wash his work clothes and help me fold. 

I hope you enjoyed this post and if it motivates you to tackle your laundry room or gives you some inspo please share! Stay tuned for a laundry room organization post coming soon. Thanks loves!

- Romelia 

Click here to shop my laundry room
(commissional links)

Post a Comment